How long has everyone been on the board?

A place for people working on their own addiction to post and share support, encouragement and recovery strategies. Partners of Addicts are strongly urged not to post on this forum.

How long has everyone been on the board?

Postby selfdiscovery on Sat May 06, 2017 11:35 pm

Just curious since I go back to the "old" board...from 2007. Can't believe it's been 10 years. Sad in a way that I STILL need to be here. I never expected that to be the case and so naturally am curious about how others are doing that may have been around here as long as I have. My hope is that most of them are gone and don't need to be here anymore. I thought I was one of those until a major slip the other month.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr

With the Lord as our Shepherd, we have some decisions to make. We can follow the voice of the Lord or answer the call of others. We can remain within the pasture of the Lord or wander in search of greener pastures. We can remain under the protective and forgiving eye of the Shepherd, or we can stray onto the dangerous paths of those who would seek to devour our lives.
selfdiscovery

Re: How long has everyone been on the board?

Postby drbob1a on Sun May 07, 2017 11:19 am

I've been here almost every day for 8 1/2 years. I'd say the percentage of people who are gone because they've conquered the addiction vs those who wander off because they're discouraged is maybe 25%... I think you can feel somewhat proud because you had the courage to come back!
8 years, I'm so grateful!

Bob
drbob1a
Your humble servant.

Postby selfdiscovery on Sun May 07, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't find it takes much "courage" to come back here. Like I said, it's safe harbor (perhaps that's not the best way to think of it...sort of implies using it as a crutch I suppose). What takes REAL courage is to not go back to looking at and/or thinking about stuff I know I shouldn't be.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr

With the Lord as our Shepherd, we have some decisions to make. We can follow the voice of the Lord or answer the call of others. We can remain within the pasture of the Lord or wander in search of greener pastures. We can remain under the protective and forgiving eye of the Shepherd, or we can stray onto the dangerous paths of those who would seek to devour our lives.
selfdiscovery

Postby 1dayatatime on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Between the old board and this one I've been around for eleven plus years. As far as sticking around goes, do whatever you need to do for recovery. There is no judgement of others here.
1dayatatime
Your humble servant.

Postby Hope(less) on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 am

Since 2009 I think - although as I write this I realize it may be 2008....have to check once I've posted....
'I have dispelled your acts of revolt like a cloud, and your sins like a mist. Come back to me, for I have redeemed you.' (Isaiah 44:22)

6 years sober - sobriety medallion removed due to the fact that it ballooned - just like my ego :)
Hope(less)
Your humble servant.

Postby beherenow1 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:34 am

I've probably been here 7 years. I had an account which I could not recover and came back with a new ID. I've probably been sober a max of 3 years, then slip and get back on the wagon. But the down swings are short and getting back on the wagon quicker. Probably need to visit this site every day.
beherenow1

Postby TAD on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:58 am

Joined in 2010 and happy to be here through the grace of God.
Tad
TAD

Return to Recovering From Addiction